Monday, July 20

Kathryn's Apple Sugar Pie

Hello everyone and welcome to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday. My sister, Lisa, and I co-host this blog carnival. We share recipes, kitchen and cooking tips, restaurant reviews, and anything food related that you want to share. You know the rule of a blog carnival, please mention the blog or TMTT in your post and link back to us. Don't forget to use Mr. Linky,at Lisa's Blog. PLEASE DO NOT HOST YOUR OWN Tempt My Tummy Tuesday with Mr. Linky. Thank You.

OK... I know you are expecting Ice Cream again, but alas... something different. I was flipping through a church cookbook and saw a hand written note. So I stopped on that page. It said, "Kathryn's Apple Sugar Pie" and I had a date next to that. I remembered that night we made it and she was all excited. She gave it the new name because "Apple crisp" made no sense to her.

I began putting notes in cookbooks by recipes I had tried and the date with a comment. My mom has done this for years and I can not even begin to tell you how much I treasure coming across one of her hand written notes in an old cookbook she has passed along to me. So, today I'm posting a recipe that my daughter likes and made up her own name for.

Apple Crisp (aka Kathryn's Apple Sugar Pie)

4 cups sliced apples (or 2 large cans of apple pie filling)
1/4 cups water
1tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/3 cup butter softened

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread apples in bottom of an 8 inch square pan. Combine water, cinnamon and salt. Sprinkle over apples. Combine sugar, flour and butter until crumbly (using fingers.) Spread crumbs over apples. Bake, uncovered about 40 minutes.


8 comments:

Deanna said...

All I can say is "Oh no you didn't!" post such a delicious tempting recipe on the day I decided to be good!

Unknown said...

Ha ha - yes, I was expecting ice cream!! This looks scrumptious. YUMMMM!!!

mub said...

I love Apple Crisp! I gotta say, I like the Apple Sugar Pie name, it sounds less... crunchy *L*

The Desperate Cook said...

I am with mub, apple sugar pie sounds better than apple crisp. I see you can also use canned apples, I have only ever had it with fresh.

Unknown said...

Yum! I will definitely give this a try. Beginning August 5, I will be hosting Crock Pot Wednesdays on diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com. I hope you will join in with your favorites. There will be prizes:)

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Sounds good!

Denise said...

Hi Lana, this is my first time doing TMTT :-) and I'm surfing lots of other blogs for great recipe ideas too. Yours sounds so yummy.
I'm in central TX too, and it's waaaaay too hot right now!

annies home said...

I love this recipe I learned how to make a similiar when I was very young and it is so easy I make it up alot

Google