On an unrelated note, our (mine and Lisa's) mom, Carolyn is having knee replacement surgery today, Tuesday, Jan. 19th. Please keep her in your prayers. We are praying a speedy recovery for her!
Now, for this week's recipe. I made this a few days ago as I was trying to put together casseroles that would "freeze nicely" for me and my Mom. I thought I would make a few dishes to have for my parents when she got home from the hospital that just needed to go into the oven from the freezer. While I was at it, I made enough for my family and now have a nicely stocked freezer. One of the dishes I made was King Ranch Chicken. I shall share it with you today!
4 boneless chicken breasts boiled and then chopped (I always throw some spices in to the water for a little flavor when I boil them)
1- 20 count package of corn tortillas - torn into stips
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can mild rotel tomatoes
1 medium onion chopped
3-4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Layer the tortillas at the bottom of a 13x9 baking dish
- Combine the rotel tomatoes, chicken soup, mushroom soup and onions in a bowl
- Pour half the soup mixture over the torillas
- Layer the chicken on top of the soup mixture and half the cheese on top of that
- Pour the remaining soup mixture over the cheese and then top with the remaining cheese.
- Put in over and bake around 25 - 30 minutes until bubbling.
How Yummy does that sound! I like to have fresh chopped Cilantro and sour cream on the side for those who would like to add it to their serving. It is super yummy folks, and really not hard at all.